Day Thirteen - Littlebeck to Robin Hood's  Bay

    Sunday 10th  May 2009


Single rooms are great.  I got up early again and took Elsie for a sniff around the farm.  We had an 8:00 breakfast and left at 9:00.  We were very impressed with Intake Farm, definitely the best of the walk.

We made our fairwells, gave Mrs Ventress some free building structure consultancy and ambled down the farm lane to Littlebeck to pick up the route proper.  We then started a mile long gradual climb up through a wooded valley.  Half way along we passed “The Hermitage”, a shelter dug out of a large boulder.  Along this section we also met with a group of four 30 something lads, who, because of holiday constraints, were coast to coasting using a combination of walking and biking.  Effectively they had cycled the middle section.  They were pleasant enough but we deliberately fell back a bit (after catching them up) to have the walk to ourselves. 

We didn't meet any other coast to coasters in the day, but just kept plodding along, occasionally stopping for a rest and unusually making quicker progress uphill rather than down.  We crossed another moor, Graystone Hills (there were neither grey stones nor hills!) taking a slightly more direct route, along sheep tracks, rather than the classic route, then we crossed an A road to reach Hawsker.  Only six miles to go and we were getting regular view of Whitby Abbey, but not Robin Hood's Bay.

David was hoping for tea in Hawsker, but there was none to be had, so we carried on down to a fixed caravan park just above the coast's tall cliffs.  This time we were lucky and we were able to stop and get some tea and sandwiches from the site shop / café.  We sat around for twenty minutes then decided that it was time for the final stage, the four miles along the cliff tops south to the walk's end.

We descended down the steep site road to the cliff top path.  By now I'd packed away my map and walking pole – they were no longer needed.  We then made our way south.  There were plenty of Sunday afternoon walkers about, most of whom were definitely ambling, and we passed a few, even with David's blistered feet.

It took 40 minutes to reach the outskirts of Robin Hood's Bay.  We joined the road as it descended to Baytown. Slowly we edged down past the gift shops, pubs and cafés until we reached the slipway to the beach.  Chris and Julie were there.  We walked onto the beach and headed to what looked like a sandy, less slippery section.  It was in fact rock, but no matter – we waded into a very placid sea and it was over.

Day Twelve <<