Hamer House to Eller Beck Bridge

I had done this walk twice before, and, although I usually remember places pretty well, I had virtually no recollection of the last section.  I remembered a little more about the next bit, but again there were gaping holes.  For the next 9 miles the Fylingdales EWS would be peeping it’s head above the moors, just to remind me of how far I still had to go.  The walking started well enough and I followed a sometimes peaty, but wide path up to Blue Man I’ The Moss on White Moor.  The odd wooden bridge appeared, but use was often optional.  Half way to Blue Man I’ The Moss I passed the C2Cers, who were enjoying some lunch.  That was the last time I saw them, but they were going strong.  Arriving at the Blue Man the path then narrowed dramatically, enough to make you wonder if you were still on the right track, especially as there were a few bits of rocky ground through which the path could conceivably have deviated.  I held with the one I was on because, as the guide and map said, it ran vaguely parallel with the edge of Bumble Wood and there were regular cairns.  I half expected it to merge with others, but if it did I didn’t notice.  It was also rocky and uncomfortable, but I could keep up a good speed.  A lot of the time I couldn’t see the woods, but after about half a mile I found myself only 20-30 yards from the trees.  The woods then ended and the path trended away up a slight gradient, past the odd small tree, before starting to descent towards Wheeldale.  I was now on my own and, since passing the C2Cers, I had seen no one.  The temperature was also rising a bit and I was starting to find it uncomfortable. 

I didn’t see the road at Wheeldale until I was only 50 yards away. There was one minibus from Poynton waiting.  I was carrying on to Fylingdales.  I passed through an open farm gate and followed tracks down the side of a fence to the stepping stones at Wheeldale Beck.  The climb down was steep, but the opportunity to swill my face in the water and cool down a bit was good, and I soon felt ready for the climb back out of the valley towards Simon Howe.  The initial climb was steep, but not long.  It soon became a gradual climb, occasionally taking a detour around boggy ground or a depression.  A mile away the tumulus at the summit always seemed to have someone on it.  On the way up I passed several walkers, possibly out for an afternoon stroll, and at the top a mountain biker using the bridleway.

The EWS was now much bigger and loomed ahead as I continued down the gradual slope towards Eller Beck and my next break.  The track was again wide and I could see my destination from at least half a mile away.  Having a bright red car makes it easy to spot from a distance.  The path steepened slightly and started to follow a 6’ deep rut down to the railway.  I could only think that this was caused by erosion and then by water.  Approaching the railway I could see the bogs in the valley and a small child walking down to them with, probably, his dad.  Further to my left there was a second group of cars, including ours, on an access road to Fylingdales Moor.  I read the warning notices on the railway, listened, looked both ways and crossed to the fen bogs opposite.  These I crossed on a stone causeway before sloping left up a bank.  Shortly before coming to the A Road, I had a bit more chat with the Other Voices, sitting and enjoying a drink with their partners.  They were the silhouettes, on Simon Howe and had watched me all the way down to Wheeldale Beck.  We traded some opinions on footwear and then I went to find my team.  They were just over the road along with the Poynton vehicles except one.